Sunday, June 30, 2013

Varanasi Vista - WIP







'Varanasi Vista'
Watercolor on Saunders Paper
Full imperial size - 21 x 29 inches

I’ve often tried to capture images to show my work in progress but almost every time I become so engrossed while painting that I forget to click them. It becomes difficult more so, when you are painting in watercolors, as the colors dry very fast. So one needs to be fast to click the images in between, or the painting gets unwanted hard edges! This time, I succeeded…though not fully, he he…I missed a couple of shots towards the end. But I still feel that you’ll enjoy the various stages of this painting.
After completing the painting, I reviewed it next day and felt that the temperature of the painting looked a little cool…I wanted to give the mood and feeling of a late sunset, when the sun has just gone down, so I applied a glaze of raw sienna on the distant buildings and adding burnt sienna to the wash while coming on to the closer buildings and the ghats. Also applied a thin glaze of orange on the water for balance. You’ll notice the difference in the last 2 images.

Have a wonderful week ahead!

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely breathtaking, Ramesh. Watching your artistic growth is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candace! Gives me great joy to hear this :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful painting, thank you for show us the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sergio! Glad you liked the step by step progress.

      Delete
  3. Lovely painting and great step-by-step illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome... just breath taking :)

    ReplyDelete